- RT @valariekaur: My Q to @ErrolMorris: What is your role as doc filmmaker? A: To pursue truth, above all. To never find it but always strive 10:04:20 PM April 17, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @valariekaur: Filmmaker @ErrolMorris inspired us to create the @VisualLaw Project at @YaleLawSchl. Very excited to thank him in person. 08:19:39 PM April 17, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Today 4PM! Filmmaker Errol Morris at Davenport College, moderated by @emilybazelon, cosponsored by @VisualLaw Project at @YaleLawSchl! 02:08:57 PM April 17, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Will hang out w/Kalyanee Mam today! Dir of Sundance film "A River Changes Course" & adviser to @VisualLaw: http://t.co/uk6ELS9r4A 02:36:16 PM April 11, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Excited to screen our film this afternoon with David Fathi of @ACLU Natl Prison Project #stopsolitary http://t.co/d5QolmPZcm @abfettig 04:54:43 PM March 22, 2013 from HootSuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
Joan Mandell is a Detroit-based documentary film producer and educator. She is currently working for the Arab American National Museum as Community Curator; and producing a film on Detroit area beekeepers. Her New Day titles are: Tales from Arab Detroit; Voices in Exile: Immigrants and the First Amendment; and Gaza Ghetto: Portrait of a Palestinian Family. Through Olive Branch Productions and New Day Films, she produces and distributes social issue videos and actively screens at colleges and community settings.
Joan Mandell has taught film production/studies and ESL at University of California/ Irvine, College for Creative Studies/Detroit, Birzeit University/Palestine and most recently aboard a ship travelling around the world with the University of Virginia/Semester-at-Sea. She was a Fulbright scholar, a Felton Scholar in Media Literacy and an affiliated fellow at UCLA’s von Grunebaum Center for Near East Studies.
Joan co-founded Al Fajr newsweekly and served on the editorial board of Middle East Report for two decades. Contact Joan Mandell for workshop facilitation/speaking engagements, documentary research/production or to find out about her short films: I, Too, Sing America and One Million Postcards, and Arab American Road Movie. Her 9-11 Moments can be found at http://www.itvs.org/9.11/.